Since the gingham is so lightweight, I used a tear-away stabilizer on the back while I sewed the blanket stitch edging.Babylock machine did a fine job on the blanket stitch, and there was no bunching thanks to the stabilizer. It didn't completely tear off, which I guess is normal, so I decided to line the whole thing in cotton lawn to cover and protect the back side of the work. I actually like the lawn lining. It elevates the piece to heirloom-quality and extends the seasons it can be worn. I'm envisioning it with a turtleneck and leggings for Valentine's Day.
Next, the pocket. I've always found making round pockets smooth around the edge a trick to do at home, so I took a cue from what I'd seen done in a sample room once. I traced the pocket pattern, minus the seam allowances, onto some manila hard pattern paper (like the folders).