we love highland orchards

Friday, June 18, 2010

It's the first full week of summer vacation for the kids and we've been lazy. We've been sleeping in and staying up late. I haven't made anything in a while. I haven't lived up to my unspoken pledge to be the organized summer mom with a full Etsy shop, plans for weekly educational field trips, and a plethora of kid craft projects ready to go so the TV gets forgotten. I hate to admit it, but I actually like Sponge Bob myself... but I must get a hold of myself! Today I took the kids on one of my lazy-mom field trips.
We went produce shopping up the road at Highland Orchards. You can spend an hour or more just visiting all the animals before you even go into the market to partake of the great local produce and baked goods.
Yay! The rhubarb is in season. I'll take 3lbs please!
Now I know what gooseberries are.
Getting the urge to try some canning...
Wish I knew what to do with beets- that and dandelion greens.  Maybe I'd buy a CSA share if I did.
Can't leave without getting something from here. The apple cider donuts are a requirement, but I'll make my own pie, thank you.
One of the many orchard mascots.
Goodbye, Mr. Peacock. Thanks for the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment