4th street, philadelphia (also known as fabric row)

Friday, July 22, 2011

I've been back to Fabric Row again! Go here for a past post with a map and directions. I really should come back more often. It reminds me so much of NYC and of Project Runway which is starting it's new season next week. This time I brought my daughter and my sister-in-law, Dana. Emma is going to be the flower girl in Dana's upcoming wedding, so we were on the hunt for occasion fabrics.
Outside Pennsylvania Fabric Outlet, barrels of cheap bolts hint at bargains to be found inside.
It's not all junk inside, though. Though a roundabout series of events that I won't go into, we wound up getting this lovely ivory embroidered border organza that echoes the embellishing on the bodice of Dana's gown. It will be overlaid on ivory bridal satin.
With fabric like this I decided it wasn't necessary to reinvent the wheel with the style. I've made this simple style before. It's got a crinoline underneath for pouf and I'll add a nice fat dupioni sash to match the celery color bridesmaid dresses.
Mission accomplished, we did some wandering just for fun. Emma enjoyed browsing in Albert Zoll, a notions store.
That's a lot o' buttons!
Inside Phuongs. The place to go for tulle and perhaps to have a pageant gown made.
If you ever find yourself on Fabric Row at lunchtime, you must go to the 4th Street Delicatessen. It's been here since 1923, an amazing feat with how quickly businesses come and go.
The interior is all original black and white deco tiles and fixtures.
When in an authentic Jewish deli and you're not a vegetarian... the pastrami reuben. This is the "small".
And if you're a vegetarian... potato pancakes with sour cream & apple sauce. Oh yeah...
The guys next to us asked if we'd like to photograph their balls. Ahem, matzoh balls, that is.
It seems Barack Obama was here too. I wonder if he bought some fabric and ordered the pastrami.

2 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

What a great trip! I so want to tag along with you one day… Seems you go to a lot of cool places that are on my "I'd love to do that" list!

I laughed at the size of that "small" sandwich. My Italian mother-in-law (family from S. Philly) makes lunchmeat sandwiches just like that! Got to love all that :)

Becky said...

Marsha, I'll give you a heads-up next time I go ;)

Post a Comment